Today I am linking up to Kelly's Korner and sharing one of my favorite soup recipes. Perfect on a cool fall or winter night with french or sour dough bread and a salad. Enjoy!
Butternut Squash Soup
* 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
* 1/2 onion, sliced
* 2 cloves garlic
* 2 sprigs fresh thyme
* 1/2 butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
* 4 cups chicken stock
* 1/2 cube chicken bouillon
* 1 pinch ground cumin
* 1 pinch ground allspice
* salt and ground black pepper to taste
*1 stick of softened cream cheese (optional)
1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat; cook the onion, garlic, and thyme in the hot butter until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add the squash and chicken stock; bring to a simmer and cook until the squash is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Crumble the bouillon into the soup; season with cumin, allspice, salt, and pepper; remove from heat.
2. Pour the soup (and softened cream cheese if you choose) into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway. Hold the lid of the blender in place with a kitchen towel and carefully start the blender using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a serving bowl.